Film – Clyde Shipping 1938

August 14, 2011

Here is a film of shipping activity on the River Clyde in 1938. There are scenes of excursion steamers heading “Doon the Watter” and into the Firth, the launch of a new vessel, a ship being coaled, cargo being loaded by the giant Stobcross crane and a passenger liner leaving for Canada. A Scottish Films […]

Read the full article →

Film – Glasgow Belongs to Me.

August 6, 2011

An inebriated Englishman has just got off the train at St. Enoch Station and is asking a cabbie to show him around the city. Naturally, the cabbie is happy to oblige and the visitor gets to see Glasgow first hand. The song “I Belong to Glasgow” made its composer Will Fyffe famous. A native of […]

Read the full article →

Glasgow Cross

March 12, 2011

In its earliest days, Glasgow was a small fishing village by a shallow and easily forded River Clyde and it remained this way until the Sixth Century AD when Saint Mungo founded a religious settlement by the Molendinar Burn on the hill to the north. A monastery was built and as the settlement grew, it […]

Read the full article →

Sailing Down the Clyde: “Doon the Watter”

July 18, 2010

From the Broomielaw Wharves on the north bank or from Clyde Place Quay on the south bank, we begin our journey down the River Clyde, or “Doon the Watter”, as Glasgow folk would say. This will be a journey through an industrial empire, past shipyards famous for building many of the world’s greatest ships and […]

Read the full article →

Buchanan Street

May 22, 2010

Buchanan Street was named after Andrew Buchanan, a Tobacco Lord, who envisioned that Glasgow would spread westward. With this in mind, on the 15th of February, 1763, he acquired the first portion of “five acres or thereby of ground in the Burgh of Glasgow, in the part called Palezeon’s Croft, on the North side of […]

Read the full article →

Broomielaw

April 7, 2010

Named after the Brumelaw Croft, a stretch of land running along the north bank of the Clyde, the street known as the Broomielaw extends from Jamaica Bridge to Finnieston Quay. It was Glasgow merchant Walter Gibson, “the father of the trade of all the west coasts”, who financed the building of Glasgow’s first quay, at […]

Read the full article →

St. Enoch Square

March 28, 2010

St. Enoch Square is actually sacred ground. It is the site of the chapel and last resting place of St. Thenew, the mother of St. Kentigern, also known as St. Mungo, the Patron Saint of Glasgow. The name Enoch is considered to be a corruption of Thenew. Since consecration, the land has been venerated and […]

Read the full article →

Glasgow Bridge/Jamaica Bridge

March 15, 2010

This tranquil scene of the Broomielaw quayside viewed across the river from the Bridge Hotel was captured by Thomas Annan in 1865 and, judging from the absence of people, it was probably taken early on a Sunday morning. Glasgow Bridge is on the right and the steamers Vesta (left) and Eagle are moored beside the […]

Read the full article →

Charing Cross

March 12, 2010

This view of Charing Cross, taken no later than 1910, shows the Grand Hotel on the left and part of the magnificent Charing Cross Mansions in the centre, designed in the French style by Sir. John J. Burnet who trained in Paris. The curving Mansion frontage connects St. George’s Road on the left with the […]

Read the full article →

Glasgow’s Early History

March 6, 2010

It is most likely that Glasgow began as a small settlement or series of settlements along the banks of the Clyde near places where the river was easily forded. Canoes have been found that date these settlements back to the Stone Age. The Clyde valley was probably densely wooded in those times. The Roman Empire […]

Read the full article →