A long line of tramcars has just crossed over the Clyde at Glasgow Bridge, also known as Jamaica Bridge, and is headed up Jamaica Street into town. The tram at the rear is bound for Springburn and is just about to pass Paisley’s. The traffic policeman on the corner is now equipped with large white gauntlets and motorized vehicles are in evidence, including a Cooperative Society lorry on the Broomielaw. Note the very ornate lamp standard outside the off-licence on the Clyde Street corner. ( J. & M. Caledonia Series )
In this photograph, taken between 1911 and 1914, a policeman on point duty has temporarily halted car 584 en route to Halfway while he waves traffic across from the Broomielaw to Great Clyde Street. Paisley’s General Outfitters is established on the Broomielaw Corner and next door is the Grand Colosseum Warehouse which had formerly been Walter Wilson & Co’s department store. On the Clyde Street corner, James Brown advertises chairs, cabinets, piano stools, blinds and sunshades made at the Newfield factory in Dalmarnock. ( E. A. Schwerdtfeger & Co., London E.C. )
The horse-drawn carts are tail-gating and even running two-abreast in this early 20th Century scene at the foot of Jamaica Street. Traffic is light so there is plenty of room to give the horses their head. The Broomielaw and Paisley’s outfitters are on the left. Car number 914 coming towards the camera and bound for Langside is one of 80 Gloucester-built tramcars in service with the fleet that had been ordered in order to ensure that enough vehicles would be available to service the city in time for the International Exhibition. ( Postcard published by Raphael Tuck & Sons in their “Town & City” series. )
Horse-drawn trams of the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company were in service when George Washington Wilson took this photo of Jamaica Street. The Company cars, as they were termed, first entered service on August 19, 1872 on track owned by Glasgow Corporation. In 1875, route colour coding was introduced and is present on the trams seen in the photo. The Company’s lease ended on June 30, 1894 whereupon horse-drawn trams owned and operated by Glasgow Corporation entered service. The property on the left of the photo is undergoing extensive renovation and multiple signs are posted advertising Paisley’s sale, so they may already have moved into part of the premises that they were to occupy for over 80 years. Next door is the Glasgow Colosseum founded by Walter Wilson who was the sole partner for eighteen years and established branches in London and Edinburgh. Born in the Gorbals, he had started out in business making ladies hats and selling them at wholesale prices. There are several signs drawing attention to the Colosseum including a very large awning outside the main entrance. It should be noted that virtually all of the people in the scene are male. The frequency of gas lights would provide very little illumination after dark.
Unless otherwise stated, the photographs are from the author’s collection.